Thursday, 15 February 2018

Making the Makerspace my New Home

Natalie McMillan (February 13, 2018). Garageband (Photograph). 
I spent every possible minute that I could this week in the Brock Makerspace to use their focusrite equipment and garageband. In doing so, I have been able to use the EQ presets to find a sound quality that I am happy with and that I feel matches the sound and timbre of my guitar. I discovered that if I choose the "natural acoustic guitar" amp and then select the "acoustic guitar improve 02" EQ preset I can get the most authentic sound. Once I was happy with the sound, I continued recording the accompaniment for a few of my songs. Despite spending so much time at the Makerspace, I only managed to get the guitar fully recorded for three songs. This leads me to consider if maybe I have bit off a bit more than I can chew with this project. I am going to focus on these three songs for now and my new goal will be to create professional quality, polished recordings of these three songs and then share them on soundcloud. I would love to continue this project even after this class and someday create videos to accompany my songs so that I can also share them on youtube, as well as record my remaining songs as well. Next week I hope to begin 
recording my vocals!


With all the time that I have been spending at the Makerspace, I have also found myself gaining interest in some of the other equipment that they have available there. For example, I participated in the 3D printing workshop this week and was able to print myself a key chain. There is so much available at the Makerspace and I am really glad that I have started to take advantage of all that is has to offer. If you are a Brock student and you haven't visited the Makerspace, I urge you to go do that ASAP! 

In addition to the recording that I have been doing this week, I also finished my Powtoon presentation, which you can watch here. Powtoon is such a great tool and I can not wait to introduce it to my future students and to encourage them to use it for presenting projects and other class work. I have also been preparing for my Movie Trailer that I am required to do for this course. I have come up with some ideas, but now I am trying to think of where the best place to film would be. Next week this should be ready for you to view! 

No comments:

Post a Comment